Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PICKLES!

I finally got a chance to try my hand at making some pickles today!!!  I had a ABUNDANCE of cucumbers ( some specifically for pickling, some regular, but used them too), so I wanted to try out some Kosher dill pickles ( Kosher is with garlic instead of mustard seed, didn't have the $ for the mustard seed)!  They were much easier then I thought they would be and fun! 

I just boiled 3 3/4 cup of water and cider vinegar each + 6 tablespoons of kosher salt. 
Then I boiled some water in another pot to sterilize the jars lids and screw tops. 
Then I cleaned and cut all my cucumbers, smooshed them in the jar and filled the jars full with the boiling liquid with 1/2 inch space left at the top. 
Then, 1-2 teaspoons dill seed ( the only thing I really needed to get at the store) depending on the size of your jar, and one clove ( I used one teaspoon of my big tub of preminced garlic in oil from Sam's club). 
Then just wipe the mouth of the jar and place the lid and ring on there and tighten well! 
Now, this called for a 10 minute water caner boiling bath.  I don't have one, SO, I used a large steal pot with a steam rack on the bottom.  Worked great!
 Now I just have to let them sit for a week and wallah!  PICKLES!! 
We'll let y'all know how they turn out!  Blessings!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails